Do you remember Suzi-Q's? This healthy alternative is the perfect treat! This low carb, chocolately cake makes for a great craving crasher! Considered keto, paleo and guilt-free friendly! And you can't taste the zucchini!
What you'll need:
- Almond flour
- Cocoa powder (or cacao)
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Coconut oil
- Unsweetened Applesauce (optional but recommended)
- Vanilla stevia OR vanilla extract and powdered stevia
- Dark chocolate chips (optional)
Made with almond flour and sweetened with honey, vanilla stevia, it's a grab-and-go breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up! But if you don't have vanilla stevia no worries! Pure vanilla extract and a sprinkle of stevia powder works great!
The cream can be home-made, however, I used my favorite Simple Mills Vanilla Frosting. This frosting does contain the organic powdered sugar so if you are watching your sugar grams then you might want to consider making a delicious Sugar-free Vanilla Frosting of your own.
I make this with a loaf pan. Once cooled, I slice it and add the frosting, however, it's fantastic without the frosting so it just depends on your palate!
Almond flour is a fantastic alternative to regular (gluten) flour. It's low carb and keto friendly, which provides a light and airy texture. Even though it is made from ground almonds, it does not have a strong almond flavor.
I highly recommend using blanched almond flour for this chocolately goodness. If you use almond meal the texture will be more gritty.
To make it chocolately, I use non-gmo 100% cocao powder but feel free to use Hersheys powder. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup!
Adding Chocolate Chips are optional but WHO WOULDN'T? It makes for such a super satisfying treat!
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla stevia see notes
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini see notes
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce (optional but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using coconut oil, grease loaf pan thoroughly.
- Throw everything into a Food Processor (except the chocolate chips). Pulse until thoroughly blended.
- Pulse in the shredded zucchini.
- Hand mix in the chocolate chips
- Bake for apprimately 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
If you don't have vanilla stevia, you can simply use 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon of stevia powder.
Instead of using zucchini, you can use 1/2 cup of applesauce.
This loaf is fantastic with or withOUT cocoa powder! Try both versions and let me know which one you prefer!
If you'd like to make your own Sugar-free Vanilla Frosting then click here for recipe!
Need some breakfast cookies for the week?
Sometimes we get sick of eggs and smoothies. Try these Oatmeal Breakfast cookies