If you love the traditional Tagalongs, but don’t want the bad-for-you sugar, then you must make these perfectly satisfying healthy homemade Tagalongs!
Rich and tasty with a perfect combination of peanut butter, chocolate and cookie, these are simple to make and I bet you already have all the ingredients on hand.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Almond flour
- Sea salt
- Pure maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil *
- Peanut butter (smooth is best)
- Dark chocolate chips
Gluten-free and protein packed, almond flour is perfect for this recipe. Be sure to use finely ground almond flour that is blanched (almond skin removed).
There is no added refined sugar to this Healthy Homemade Tagalongs recipe. To add some sweetness I used maple syrup (pure and no sugar added), pure vanilla extract and, of course, the dark chocolate chips.
Be sure to check labels on both the dark chocolate chips and peanut butter. You want it as pure with no added sugar as possible.
Creamy peanut butter is best for these Healthy Homemade Tagalongs.
Healthy Homemade Tagalongs
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted but not warm) * extra tbsp to add to the melted chocolate
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 8-10 teaspoons peanut butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt in food processor or mixer. Scoop dough and form into a round cookie shape, then flatten a bit and use your finger to create a small dent in the center of each cookie.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until firm and golden color. Take out of oven and set aside to cool.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, add peanut butter into the dent of each cookie and spread it a little over the top evenly. Place cookies in the fridge or freezer for about 15-30 minutes until peanut butter is firm.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan on low heat until melted.
- One by one using a fork to dip, flip and remove the cookie from the chocolate, placing it on a wax or parchment paper lined dish, place back in fridge to set and harden.
- Best if kept stored in fridge.