We love our Sunday pancakes each week and what better way to start St. Patrick’s Day than with these super delicious, keto AND vegan friendly, gluten-free healthy green pancakes!
What makes them green is whole leaf baby spinach leaves. You cannot taste the spinach at all I promise 😊
To begin your day with greens makes getting the daily suggested servings of veggies in super simple.
What you'll need for the healthy green pancakes:
- Almond flour (or flour of choice. I used almond flour, coconut and cassava flour combined – see notes)
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Eggs (Chia seeds for Vegan option – see notes)
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsweetened applesauce –optional
- Sweetener of choice (honey, agave, monk fruit if keto)
- Sea salt
- Baking soda
- Oil of choice for cooking (coconut, grapeseed, butter, dairy-free butter)
** If you prefer to buy already mixed Paleo or Keto Pancake Mix, I would recommend:
Flour for the healthy green pancakes:
You can use almond flour alone. I like to combine my flours often. This recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of almond flour so I used 1 cup almond, 1/4 cup cassava and 1/4 cup coconut.
*Keep in mind, coconut and cassava flour absorb liquid in recipe batter easily so you don't want it to dry out your final product.
Vegan/vegetarian egg replacement:
A great egg replacement would be Chia seeds. These little guys will plump up nicely when mixed with water and allowed to sit for at least 20-30 minutes to absorb.
1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds + 3 Tablespoons of water = 1 Egg
Sweetener of choice for the healthy green pancakes:
If you are following a keto diet, then I would suggest using Monk Fruit.
If you are following a vegetarian or vegan diet I would suggest using coconut oil, grapeseed oil or Earth Balance Buttery Spreak (which is my favorite!)
Healthy Green Pancakes (gluten-free, vegan and keto friendly)
- Handful fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk of choice water, almond milk, coconut milk are options
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (see "flour" notes above if adding additional flours)
- 3 large eggs vegan option would be soaked Chia Seeds *see notes above
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesause optional
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice honey,agave, monk fruit if keto
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- oil of choice for cooking coconut,grapeseed, butter, dairy-free butter
- Using a Nutri-Bullet or blender, blend spinach and liquid of choice together.
- Add all other ingredients (except the oil for cooking) together mixing well.
- Add the liquid spinach with the other ingredients. Mix well
- The batter may seem too thick. Continue to add water or nut milk to make consistency a little on the thin side. As the batter sits it will thicken up.
- Heat skillet to medium, add oil of choice to coat thoroughly. Add batter. Once the batter bubbles a bit, flip over to cook other side.
- Enjoy with some pure maple syrup!
Need More Breakfast Ideas?
* Healthy Breakfast Banana Muffins
* Healthy Banana Bread
Recommended Weight Loss Programs
* FREE Trial!
Break Bad Habits & Lose Weight for Good with Noom's Psychology Based Program
Recommended Exercise and Wellness Programs
* 2 Week Yoga Ab & Booty Challenge
* Yoga Mindful Movement
* Streaming On-Demand Fitness FAT Burning Workouts